Traditionally quinoa porridge can take around 20 minutes to cook – not your quick and easy workday breakfast!
Soaking overnight as well as using flaked quinoa speeds up the whole process considerably so perfect if you love your nutritious porridge on a weekday. Serve with some chopped nuts or a spoonful of nut butter with a handful of berries. In the winter months I keep things simple and top with a sprinkle of Sukrin gold, an erythritol blend that tastes and looks just like brown sugar. This reminds me of my childhood when demerara sugar was my late dad’s favourite porridge topping.
Nutritional information Per Serving
Calories: 178 kcals
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 30g flaked quinoa
- 250ml plant-based milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a jar or an air-tight container, combine well, cover with lid and leave overnight in the fridge. You can eat the porridge cold, but if you want it warm, you need to place the mixture into your saucepan.
- Heat on a medium heat and keep stirring until it starts to thicken.
- Cook for around 5 minutes until it is heated through, adding more milk if needed, until you get the consistency you prefer.
- Remove from heat and top with your favourite topping before serving.
- Add a chopped banana on top if you wish.