Whip up a delicious, healthy meal any night of the week. This Mexican Style Chilli Beef recipe only takes 20 minutes to prepare.
- 330 kcal
- 8.3g fat
- 35.1g carbs (of which sugars 14.5g)
- 31.7g protein
- 4.2g fibre
Prep time 20 minutes
Cooking time 1 ½ hours
- 400g braising steak, trimmed of fat
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 25g plain flour
- 400ml beef stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 150g tinned pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 150g tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 50g dark chocolate (min. 70% cocoa solids), grated
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan. Cut the beef into thin slices, then add to the hot pan and cook until browned on all sides. Transfer to a warmed plate and set aside.
- Add the onion and garlic to the hot pan and cook until softened. Stir in the flour and cook for a further 2 minutes. Now slowly add the stock to the pan, stirring continuously. Tip in the tomatoes, pinto and kidney beans and then stir in the ginger, chipotle paste and cumin. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and return the meat to the pan.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a casserole dish, then cover with the lid and cook in the oven for 1 ½ hours.
- 10 minutes from the end of the cooking time add the grated chocolate, stirring gently, and then return the chilli beef to the oven for the remainder of the cooking time.
Leave in the oven to cook while you relax!