Breakfast like a champ with one of these oaty recipes. As a natural wholegrain food and rich in fibre, oats are packed with nutrients and will fill you up until lunch.
Fruity granola layer crunch
338 kcal, 4% fat
Prep time 10 mins
Cooking time 20 mins
150g rolled oats
10g dried cranberries
10g desiccated coconut
10g sunflower seed mix
100g pear, chopped
100g low-fat yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C, 400˚F, Gas Mark 6. Place the oats and honey in a bowl and mix well before spreading out onto a non-stick baking tray.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, checking and stirring from time to time as it may cook quicker around the outside of the baking tray. Remove from the oven and scrape into a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the dried cranberries, desiccated coconut and sunflower seed mix. Take 4 glasses and layer each one with the chopped pear, low-fat yoghurt and the granola mix. Serve straight away.
Overnight fruity oats
253 kcal, 1.7% fat
Prep time 2 mins
200ml low-fat yoghurt
2 tbsp frozen blueberries
Maple syrup, to taste
- Mix together the oats, low-fat yoghurt and frozen blueberries.
- Cover and leave overnight in the fridge. The next morning, remove from the fridge and sweeten to taste with maple syrup.
Porridge with glazed oranges
193 kcal, 2.9% fat
Prep time 5 mins
Cooking time 15 mins
100g whole rolled porridge oats
25g dried fruit
1 pinch salt
1 orange, peeled and cut into segments
3 tbsp sweetener
Fat-free fromage frais
- Put the porridge oats, milk, dried fruit and salt in a non-stick saucepan.
- Place over a low heat and bring the mixture to a gentle simmer, stirring continuously. Cook for 15 minutes until the milk has absorbed and the porridge is smooth.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Put the orange segments on a baking tray and sprinkle with the sweetener.
- Place under the grill for a few seconds until hot.
- Spoon the porridge into bowls, top with the orange segments and swirl in a little fat-free fromage frais.
260 kcal, 1.7% fat
Prep time 5 mins
1 eating apple
2 tsp bran
75g low-fat yoghurt
Honey, to taste
½ banana or spoonful berries to serve
- Peel and grate the apple. Place the grated apple, oats, sultanas and bran in a bowl. Stir in the yoghurt and add the honey to taste. Place in the refrigerator and leave overnight.
- Just before serving, chop the banana or berries, add to the muesli and mix well.