Homemade smoothies are healthier than shop-bought ones if you choose the right ingredients. This smoothie will boost your energy levels
Saturated fat: 1.6g
Total sugars: 7.99g
Prep time: 5 minutes
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled and stoned (you want about 80g flesh)
- 50g fresh strawberries or mixed fresh or frozen berries
- Juice of 1 large orange
- A few fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh blueberries
- Put the avocado, strawberries and orange juice into a blender and purée until smooth.
- Add about 100ml of water to thin it down (or add enough water to achieve the consistency you like) and blend briefly to mix. Pour the smoothie into two glasses.
- Add the chopped mint and a few blueberries to the top of each smoothie and serve immediately to benefit from maximum vitamins.
Use frozen berries and blitz them straight from the freezer – this makes your smoothie nicely thick and chilled to drink.
Instead of avocado, use ½ peeled banana as this will add a lovely thick, smooth texture.
Some other combinations you might like to try for this smoothie include:
- Papaya, lime juice and orange juice
- Mango, kiwi, avocado and lime juice
Some nutrient-boosting ingredients you could add as extras, if you like, include one of the following:
- A small handful of porridge oats
- A little peeled and grated fresh ginger, along with some peeled carrot and cored (but not peeled) eating apple
- A small handful of baby spinach leaves or kale
- A teaspoon of powdered greens such as spirulina
- 1 teaspoon of ground linseeds (flaxseeds), rice bran or wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon maca powder (maca is a small Peruvian root vegetable and it’s a magnificent source of vitamin B2, iron, calcium, zinc and fibre)
Use cold water to thin a fruit purée.
If you use fruit juice (red grape juice or pressed apple juice tastes great), watch out for the extra calories (and sugar) from the fruit sugar in the juice. Alternatively, try using cooled green tea instead of fruit juice to make a smoothie.
Smoothie recipe taken from Phil Vickery’s Ultimate Diabetes Cookbook